“But thanks be to God, who always leads us in His triumph in Christ, and manifests through us the sweet aroma of the knowledge of Him in every place. For we are a fragrance of Christ to God among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing,” II Corinthians 2: 14-15
As the year 2000 begins, Starfish Ministries has completed two fulfilling years of ministry in Haiti. We have seen God at work.
- Twenty-seven children lived at the Pont Sonde orphanage when Starfish Ministries took over in 1998. It quickly filled to the capacity of 48. In June of 1999 all 4 of the 6th grade children of the orphanage passed their exam allowing them to go on to secondary school in Port au Prince.
- In August of 1999 the remaining 44 children were moved from Pont Sonde to Tricotte where they are in temporary housing awaiting the completion of the new orphanage in Tricotte.
- A Board of Directors has been appointed of Tricotte men and women to oversee all operations of the Tricotte orphanage.
- Moms and dads in Tricotte have “adopted” our orphanage children as their own, sharing at devotion times and making all the children feel wanted and loved in the village.
- There are now 65 sponsored children involved in the orphanage ministry.
- The goal is to complete the new orphanage in April and fill it to it’s capacity of 96 as children in need of a home are found.
- We anticipate needing additional sponsors as the building is completed.
Tricotte Area Outreach Ministry
- Pastor Diogene and church leaders held evangelistic crusades throughout ‘98 & ‘99, with many Haitians choosing to follow Christ.
- The church building in the village of David was completed. Converts include 12 couples who were living together and now have made a commitment to marriage.
- Construction of the church in the village of Drigeon, begun in 1998 and although not yet completed, is being used for worship services and additional classrooms.
- Approximately 180 people attend the newly planted Drigeon church, almost all being recent converts to christianity.
- Currently several neighboring villages are being witnessed to by the Tricotte Christians.
Short Term Mission Trips
- Starfish Ministries led 3 mission groups in 1998 and 3 in 1999. We have seen the lives of team members changed for the glory of God.
- God has truly amazed us and blessed us as He has moved the hearts of people to supply all of Starfish Ministries’ needs this year. We don’t solicit funds, but when asked, we do make needs known. He has supplied sponsors for all the children (and even people waiting to sponsor), also money for special projects at the orphanage. Many people have been moved to help with relief due to the hurricane. Bibles have been given to new Christians in Haiti. And each child at the orphanage had a beautiful dress or pants, shirt and tie outfit made especially for them for Christmas! Again and again, when the need is there, God has supplied financially and in many other ways.
Vision for 2000
- We hope to see completion of the orphanage building in Tricotte by April. A work team will be going to Haiti in February to put the roof on and do electrical and plumbing work.
- We pray God would show us those needy children whom He has chosen to fill the orphanage to capacity.
- We believe God would have us start a high school in the Drigeon village, a short walk from Tricotte, so our children and the children from the entire area would not have to walk for 2 hours (one way) to attend high school.
- We are in the beginning stages of planning August and November mission trips.
God is at work! What a blessing to partner with you in 1998 and 1999 as His servants. May each of us grow deeper in our love for Christ in the year 2000 so that our service will be of the quality that He desires.
Serving our Lord together,
Bernie and Sheryl Bovenkamp