Doug and I spent the last week of January in Tricotte with a team of 13 from Lynden. It’s been a pleasure working with Rod Tjoelker and the team he assembled for this trip. They worked on several construction projects: putting a roof on our Learning and Development Center (LDC) in Tricotte, finishing up some small items on the Boys’ Dorm at the orphanage, assembling and installing desks, chairs and bookshelves in our Starfish Ministries offices in Tricotte, and putting up a couple more solar powered street lights in Tricotte. Another huge project was sorting and staging clothes, shoes, and medical supplies. The five women on the team spent many hours on this project. The team did a great job and got a lot of work done. And most importantly God is using this mission trip experience to affect their lives for His glory!
On Wednesday morning we traveled to Pommier, the newest of our school villages. The last time I was there we had to hike into the village but much to my surprise, Daniel drove us all the way to the new school. The villagers had worked hard to broaden the walking path so we could now navigate the new road with four wheel drive vehicles.
It’s November and Christmas is just around the corner. There are opportunities to give Christmas gifts to needy Haitians again this year. If you would like to give, there are instructions below.
Have you given a gift to Starfish Ministries on behalf of someone else? Maybe it’s a Christmas gift or a memorial for a loved one who has passed. Click here for a selection of cards that you can print for to communicate the gift you have given. If you are interested in giving a specific gift, whether a Creole Bible for new Haitian believer to read or a goat to help sustain poor family, this list contains several options and prices.
An angel of the Lord appeared to the shepherds, and the glory of the Lord shone around them and they were terrified. But the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid, I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord.” Luke 2:9-11
This great news continues on today as we celebrate the birth of Jesus our Savior. And the result – great joy!! And it’s news for ALL the people! As Starfish Ministries completes its 18th year of ministry in Haiti, we continue to reach out to the spiritually lost with this great news. Continue Reading →
Let us come before Him with thanksgiving and extol Him with music and song. Psalm 95:2
Thanksgiving 2015 is almost here and we have so much to be thankful for – God continues to faithfully provide all that is needed to accomplish His purposes in Haiti. He is using you to help make that happen, so we thank God for your partnering with us through your prayers and finances.
An area we are seeing positive change in the Tricotte village is in self-sufficiency. For the last several years we have encouraged the people in that direction with education and help with Micro Loans for starting small businesses and we are now seeing good results. In the past the people would often come and ask for “welfare” help for food or tuition for their school children or other needs. That is no longer the case – now they come asking for jobs or help to start a business or counsel on how they may be able to help themselves. They are seeing the possibilities and benefit of being able to support themselves. Continue Reading →
Thank you for your prayers and support for this ministry – we are so grateful for your partnership with us as we serve God in Haiti. He is faithful and continues to bring to pass all that He has called for us to do! Last month we asked you to pray for several specific things and I want to share with you how they were answered.
- Speedy customs clearing for a container at reasonable costs. The container from Canada came out of customs while we were in Haiti, it was trucked to Tricotte, the costs were reasonable and the goods were not damaged. Praise God!
- Three teams traveling to Haiti in November.
- Birthing attendant training – Eight women from NCCTK church in Lynden presented the Miracle of Birth to 12 Haitian women during a four day seminar. We were really encouraged as these women now have the skills to help deliver babies in areas where there are not many medical services. They were also challenged to share Jesus with the new mothers. The result of this training will save lives of mothers and babies and will encourage many in their spiritual lives.
- Well drilling team – Vince and Dave Buys successfully drilled a well in Port au Prince. Praise God for clean water to help many who may not have had access to clean water!
- Farming fact-finding team – Five of us were able to tour the ministry of Double Harvest just out side of Port au Prince. This is a 200 acre farming operation which included fish farming, raising chickens and acres of vegetables. We learned much and look forward to using that knowledge to enhance our efforts in raising more food for our orphanage and school ministries.
- That God would use these trips to accomplish much in the lives of team members as well as in the lives of the Haitians who were served – I was encouraged as I listened to the team members share about what God was doing in their lives. And as I observed the women who were trained for birthing helpers – they prayed and worshipped with our trainers – God certainly used this time in their lives.
Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good; His love endures forever. -Psalm 107:1
Another Thanksgiving season is upon us! And we have so much to be thankful for – God has faithfully provided all that we need to accomplish His purposes in Haiti! He has used you to help make that happen to we thank Him for your partnership with us as you support through prayer and finances.
Last week the container shipped from Canada arrived in Haiti. This week we are loading one in Lynden that will arrive in Haiti in December. Many of you have donated clothes, shoes, school supplies, hygiene products, baby supplies and many other items that are going in this container – thank you so much! Continue Reading →
God has truly blessed us over the years through the people, churches, and organizations He has used to support His work in Haiti. These partners in ministry includes many Haitian brothers and sisters in Christ who have come along side us to serve in a number of different ways. It includes Haitian churches who partner with us in evangelistic crusades, disaster relief, and many other ways. It includes sponsors and other supporters who in the United States and Canada who support both financially and through prayer and encouragement. And it includes churches and other organizations who have partnered with us in various ways.
- Feed My Starving Children
- Fraser Valley Gleaners
- Trinity Bible Church Lynden
- Tacoma Christian Reformed Community Church